Precise2290 provides wizard-based form 2290 online filing option to the Truckers and Tax Professionals to quickly & securely submit error-free e-filings in the most cost effective way and get the IRS stamped proof of payment within 5 minutes. The proven e-filing workflow ensures that new users very easily submit the filings to the IRS system without needing assistance from us. To make sure that the entire process goes through smoothly, there are some prerequisites that the e-filers should be aware of before they start the HVUT Form 2290 e-file with the IRS through Precise2290:
- Email Address to sign up and operate the account: A valid email address of the user operating the account will be required to sign up on the Precise2290.com site. All email communications including the delivery of IRS Stamped Schedule 1 is sent to this address. The sign up process on Precise2290.com site is very easy and just need the first & last name, email address and a password of the user to create an account. Forgot Password option can be used to recover the password incase the user forgets the password.
- Business Information: The user is required to provide the business details of the organization filing the Form 2290 or Form 8849 returns. Some of the key information related to the business are:
- Business type – Correctly select the business type from the list e.g.; Corporation, Estates, Partnerships, Trust and Fiduciaries, Exempt Organization, Inc, LLC, Sole Proprietorship, and Others
- Business Name & Doing Business As (DBA) name – Use DBA only if it is used otherwise ignore it
- Employer Identification Number (EIN) – EIN should be at least 2 weeks old before the efile can be submitted for the business
- Business Address – Enter the current business address without any special character
- Contact Information – Contact details for the business
- Signing Authority details – A 5-digit PIN# is required along with the signing authority details. This is used by the IRS for the verification purpose when the e-filer contacts IRS for any issue
SSN cannot be used to file form 2290 and only EIN of the business can be used. IRS suggest that businesses with new EIN should wait for at least 2 weeks before they submit the form 2290 e-file with the IRS as it takes that much time to update the new EIN in the e-file system. Any e-file submitted before that will result in the rejection of the filing.
- Vehicle(s) VIN & Gross Weight: E-Filer will require the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) number of the vehicle which is generally a 17 character identification number used to uniquely identify a vehicle. The gross weight of the vehicle (the empty weight of the vehicle plus the maximum weight that it will carry on it) will be required and the system will automatically calculate the taxes based on that. You will also be required to know under which category the vehicle has to be filed e.g., Taxable, Tax-Suspended, or Agricultural.
A vehicle whose gross weight is 55,000 pounds or more and the total mileage for the entire tax year exceed 5000 miles (7500 miles for the agricultural vehicles) is considered a taxable vehicle and taxes should be paid to the IRS. If the mileage on the vehicle is less than 5000 miles (7500 miles for the agricultural vehicles) in the Tax year then it is called a Tax-Suspended vehicle. It is to be noted that no tax is applicable for the tax-suspended vehicle but reporting to the IRS is mandatory.
- IRS payment related details: IRS provides four payment options through which the HVUT payment can be done 1) Electronic Fund Withdrawal (EFW) from the checking / saving account 2) EFTPS 3) Check/Money Order 4) Credit/Debit card
If the e-filer selects the Electronic Fund Withdrawal (EFW) payment option to pay through the checking/saving account, the bank account# and the routing # is required. For the EFTPS payment option, an EFTPS account with the IRS is required. For further information or enrolling into the EFTPS account, please visit the website www.eftps.gov. If the Check / Money Order payment option is selected then the check or money order should be mailed to the IRS with the 2290V voucher that is generated with the completed form 2290. For Credit/Debit card payment option, the e-filer has to go to a different site ( https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-credit-or-debit-card) to make the payment. There is a convenience fee of around 2% charged by the credit/debit card payment processing vendors
- Credit Card details to pay for the Precise2290 service charge: We accept credit card for the e-file service charge payment and the e-filer can choose from any card from leading vendors like American Express, Visa, and Master card to make payment. The card number, expiration date, CVV#, Name on the card, and the billing address will be required to make the payment for our service charge.
Once the aforementioned information is in-hand the e-filer can go to the website www.precise2290.com and click on the sign up option to create a free account with us. Once logged into the Precise2290 system, click the Start Filing button and the e-file wizard will guide the user step-by-step to complete and submit the HVUT filing. IRS stamped Proof of Payment (Schedule 1) will be provided within minutes which can be printed and presented to the DMV to obtain/renew the vehicle tag. This is in sharp contrast to the paper filing which takes weeks to receive the IRS stamped proof of payment and the filing records are available online for at least 5 years.
About Precise2290 Precise2290 is a leading IRS-authorized e-file service provider offering e-filers the best cloud-based solutions to perform online filings of Forms 2290, Form 8849 – Schedule 6, and Form 2290 Amendments. As part of our commitment to make e-filing easy and convenient, we are always available and users can contact us over the phone at (240) 308-5907. You can also reach us via live chat or email us at [email protected].