Precise2290 provides a wizard-based form 2290 online filing option to the Truck Owners and Tax Professionals to quickly & securely submit error-free e-filings in the most cost-effective way and get the IRS stamped proof of payment within 2 minutes. The proven e-file workflow ensures that new users very easily complete & submit the filings to the IRS system without needing assistance from us.
The online instructions are very clear to complete the following 10 Steps to file form 2290 online and receive the IRS stamped proof of payment (Schedule 1) in the email within 2 minutes of order submission:
- Sign up with Precise2290: Create a free account on www.precise2290.com in less than a minute by providing your name and email address.
- Enter business details: Enter the details of the business filing form 2290 & form 8849. The following business related information will be required:
- Business Type – Sole Proprietorship, LLC, Corporation, Partnerships, Exempt Organization, etc.
- Employer Identification Number (EIN) –You will need the EIN to file the form 2290. SSN cannot be used for filing form 2290. If you have a new EIN then it is suggested to submit the online filing only after 2 weeks so that the new EIN is updated in the IRS e-file system
- Business Name – Enter the name of the business registered with the IRS. IRS system doesn’t accept special characters in the name and address
- Business Address – Enter the business address registered with the IRS. If the address has changed then enter the new address and set the new address flag to yes in the later step of the filing
- Signing Authority – Enter the name, designation and the 5-digit PIN of your choice for the signing authority
- Select the form type to e-file: Select the filing options from the following:
- HVUT Form 2290
- HVUT Form 2290 Amendment
- Form 8849 – Schedule 6(Other Claims)
- Select the tax year and vehicle first use month: Select the tax year and the first use month for the form 2290 filing. If filing for the whole tax year then select July month as the first use month otherwise select the month in which the vehicle(s) were first used. Please note that all vehicles with the same first use month should be clubbed into one form 2290. If there are vehicles with different first used month then file another form 2290.
Taxes are calculated based on the first use month and the gross weight of the vehicle. If the first use month of filing is different than July then the system automatically prorates the tax amount accordingly and the taxes are calculated only for the period the vehicle is operated.
5. Enter vehicle details: Precise2290 handles the filing of Taxable, Tax-suspended, and Credit vehicles in a step-by-step process and calculates the total HVUT for the taxable vehicles and adjusts the credit amount for the credit vehicles while keeping the tax amount to zero for tax-suspended vehicles. If the credit amount is more than the tax amount owed then the system automatically files form 8849 – Schedule 6(Other Claims) for the balance amount.
6. Enter IRS payment details: While filing HVUT Form 2290, you can pay the HVUT to IRS through any of the four options:
- Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW) – Provide the Checking/Saving account information and the IRS system directly debits the tax amount from the bank account. This is the most widely used option and there is no service charge for this option
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) – If you have the EFTPS account with the IRS then submit the form 2290 filing on this site and make the tax payment through it. To use the EFTPS system, the user needs to enroll by visiting the EFTPS.gov site.
- Check/Money Order – If you select this option to pay the HVUT then the voucher will be automatically generated and this can be mailed to the IRS along with the check/money order
7. Provide your consent to disclosure: Provide your consent to the IRS to disclose information about your HVUT payment for the tax period to the Federal Department of Transportation (DOT), US Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and to the State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
8. Designate a third-party: Designate an employee of your business, a return preparer, or a third party to discuss your form 2290 e-filing with the IRS.
9. Make the service charge payment & submit filing: Pay the e-file service charge to Precise2290 using the Precise2290 e-wallet or debit/credit card.
10. Download & Print IRS stamped proof of payment: Precise2290 will immediately submit the Form 2290 filing to the IRS system and get the IRS stamped proof of payment (Schedule 1). Schedule 1 is emailed to the registered email address and it can also be downloaded from the site. Users can download and print schedule 1 and present it to the DMV to obtain/renew the vehicle tag.
About Precise2290 Precise2290 is a leading IRS-authorized e-file service provider offering e-filers the best cloud-based solutions to perform online filings of Forms 2290, Form 8849 – Schedule 6, and Form 2290 Amendments. As part of our commitment to make e-filing easy and convenient, we are always available and users can contact us over the phone at (240) 651-4127. You can also reach us via live chat or email us at [email protected]